To attend the Evening Information Session, please complete the Student Information Form.
Evening Information Session
Please note this program is for girls only
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
5:30 – 7:00 pm
General Overview 5:30-6:00 pm | Library
Volleyball Info 6:00-7:00 pm | Library
Physical and Health Education Canada defines physical literacy as individuals who are physically literate and able to move with competence in a wide variety of physical activities that benefit the development of the whole person. The vision of this academy is to provide students with the opportunity to learn and enjoy the sport of Volleyball with the goal of participating in this activity and other activities for life.
Overview of Program: Variety and Opportunity
The Premier Volleyball Academy provides a consistent training program for girls, Grades 8-12 to experience and play quality Volleyball through high level training and exposure to competition.
- To develop students’ knowledge, skills and abilities in the sport of Volleyball & provide each student the opportunity to reach full potential in the sport
- To work in partnership with Power West/Go Vertical Volleyball to provide students with Volleyball skill development training under the Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) program
- To ensure access to excellent instruction, coaching and training in cooperation and support from Volleyball BC and Volleyball Canada
- To provide students with the opportunity to receive course credit for participation in the program
- To promote a philosophy of regular practice and long-term participation, performance and enjoyment of the sport of Volleyball
- To emphasize the importance of sportsmanship
- To provide students with the opportunity for increased self-esteem and self-confidence through participation in the sport
- To encourage students to be motivated to participated in the sport of Volleyball for life, as a player, a referee, future instructor/coach or Volleyball enthusiast
The Program Concept
The Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) Program has become a standard for all sport-governing bodies in Canada in defining the fundamental principles behind long-term athlete development, and is a requirement for funding of elite development programs in Canada.
The Academy program would be based on the following LTAD principles for the “Training to Train” phase:
- Incorporate an aerobic base, develop speed (and strength towards the end of the stage for females), and to further develop and consolidate volleyball skills
- Encourage student-athletes to participate whenever possible, in complementary sports such as soccer, basketball, swimming, and softball
- Provide a physical training program designed to complement the sport-specific training program
- Consolidate basic individual volleyball skills and tactics
- Introduce & develop team systems and position specialization
The goal is to offer a program for students to become inspired and motivated to participate in this activity or ‘activity in general’ for life!
- Girls only, Grades 8-12 are eligible to register
- Students must be registered at one of the district’s three secondary schools: Rockridge, École Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary
- Training sessions will occur in the early mornings from 7:00 – 8:10 a.m.
- Training sessions will occur 2-3 mornings per week
- Facility location will be West Vancouver Secondary School gymnasium
- Students will receive Physical Health Education 8 & 9 or Physical Education 10-12 through participation in the program\
- All skill levels eligible to apply
- Due to the intensity of the training, students are required to come with a demonstrated passion to learn and to grow as young volleyball players
- Meet academic standards and have displayed evidence of being socially responsible
- Parents are responsible for transporting students to the school site and if students are registered at either École Sentinel or Rockridge Secondary, parents are responsible for ensuring students arrive to those schools at the completion of each training session at West Vancouver Secondary School
Tuition $2750 per year: $275 per month x 10 months (September – June)
Academy Clothing Kit: $150 – $200
The basic clothing kit for the students will include: t-shirt, shorts, running shoes to be worn indoors that are non-marking, non-slip shoes. Optional items will include sweat tops, sweat pants, and track suits.
Requirements & Registration
A student selected to participate in the Premier Volleyball Academy Program must provide a copy of their most recent report card, indicating good progress in academic subject areas, as well as evidence of socially responsible behaviour, an excellent work ethic, and an overall positive attitude. Due to the intensity of the training, students are required to come with a demonstrated passion to learn and to grow as young volleyball players.
PLEASE DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:Diane Nelson
Director of Instruction
West Vancouver Schools Premier Academy Programs
Office Direct Line: 604-981-1150
Students interested in the Premier Volleyball Academy must submit the Student Information Form.