This course is for students who are interested in teaching Yoga as well as for students who are interested in learning more about Yoga to enhance their own personal practice. The goal of the 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training is to make students comfortable teaching a basic all-levels Yoga class. At the completion of the 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training students will be qualified Yoga teachers. The 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training course follows the guidelines set out by the Yoga Alliance, ensuring the highest educational standards of quality, integrity, and professionalism. Students will learn the tools and skills needed to effectively and safely teach Yoga to all levels of students. This course will provide students with an employable certification that will open career opportunities in the health and wellness industry. It will also provide an enriching foundation for students interested in post-secondary studies in the area of health sciences. Students will receive 8 credits for the course.
- This program is designed for our district’s secondary school students. Yoga is for Every Body, for students, Grades 9-12 with all abilities and fitness levels eligible
- Students are to ensure they have participated in several Yoga classes before the start of the program to be familiar with the Yoga practice.
Location, Schedule, Transportation & Fees
The 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training program is offered to students fully registered in any one of West Vancouver Schools three secondary schools (Rockridge, Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary. However, the program sessions take place in a studio located at West Vancouver Secondary School.
The course will run on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. There will be an additional online component that students will be required to complete.
Transportation for students from Rockridge or Sentinel Secondary is not provided and not included in the program fees. Parents are responsible for their students’ transportation to the sessions.
The fee for the 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training Program is $100 for the year (September – June). More information about the collection of this fee will be provided once students are accepted into the program.
Upon acceptance into the program, parents will be asked to complete both a student medical information form and a liability release form.
- Students earn 8 credits:
- 4 credits for Physical Education 9, 10, 11, or 12 dependent on the student’s grade
- 4 credits of Yoga 10, 11 or 12
- Students receive certification as qualified 200-Hour Yoga Teachers upon completion of the course requirements
- Students receive certification as qualified Yoga Alliance approved 200-Hour Yoga Teachers upon completion of the course requirements
- Students will be qualified to teach public or private classes through yoga studios, gyms, wellness centers, etc.
Applications will be reviewed with the following criteria taken into consideration:
- Grade Level (While the program is open to all students, Grades 9-12, priority will be given to more senior students) if over-subscribed
- A recent copy of a student report card uploaded and included with the submission of the Student Information Form
- Application date of fully completed submissions of Student Information Forms
Application Timeline & Recommendation
We are currently open to receive applications for the 2023-2024 school year. Students are advised to register early as space in the program is limited.
- The 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training cost is $100 per year. This price is all-inclusive and covers students’ textbooks, field trips, and guest instructors.