If you are interested in this program, please complete the Student Information Form. The Academy Office will contact you to complete the registration process.
West Vancouver Schools Premier Fencing Academy is the only one of its kind in British Columbia. Launched in 2015, our partner Head Coach and High Performance Director, Canadian Fencing Federation, Igor Gantsevich, welcomes students, Grades 8-12, who are registered full time in Rockridge, Ecole Sentinel, or West Vancouver Secondary schools.
High Level Athletics
The primary goal of the Fencing Academy is to provide a formal fencing training program within the academic setting to allow for achievement and excellence in sport and education.
The Premier Fencing Academy is a sports program that offers students, Grades 8-12, the opportunity to complete all their course requirements, along with the ability to participate in competitive fencing skill development.
“Besides very good training at the Academy, the thing that had the biggest impact on me was the passion and dedication that Coach Igor has for the sport of fencing and it definitely rubbed off. “ – former Fencing Academy student
Read the full quote here
Students will receive the following courses depending on the number of hours student elect to participate & their specific grade levels:
Physical & Health Education 8
Career Education 8
Physical & Health Education 9
Career Education 9
Physical & Health Education 10
B/AA Theory & Principles of Competitive Fencing 10
Fitness & Conditioning 11
Active Living 11
Fitness & Conditioning 12
Active Living 12
Assessment & Evaluation
Students’ skill levels and fitness levels are continually monitored by the coaching staff. The coaches set goals and objectives with each student based on observations and progress within the training sessions. This program helps students form successful habits not only in the area of fencing, but also within their academics and relationships with others. Students are encouraged to be consistent in areas such as focus, work ethic and attitude during the training sessions.
- Students, Grades 8-12, registered any one of the district’s secondary schools are eligible
- Full year program that runs in a Linear system
- Components include fencing skill development, fencing-specific fitness training, as well as opportunities to participate in competitions within the sport
- State-of-the-art training facility: Dynamo Fencing 238 Fell Avenue, North Vancouver, BC
- Bus transportation provided 5 afternoons per week
- Students may receive 1-2 courses depending upon the number of hours of training participation
- Outstanding instruction provided by experienced, qualified fencing coaches
The West Vancouver School District’s Premier Fencing Academy is a wonderful program for the student who wants to develop his/her potential as a high performance athlete or simply wants to enjoy developing in the sport of fencing. All students enrolled full time at Rockridge, Ecole Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary School have the opportunity to pursue the passion of participating in the sport of fencing, while continuing to receive an excellent education. The school district is excited to be able to offer this very unique program for students.
Registration for the Fencing Academy program is separate from the individual school registration. The first step in the Fencing Academy registration is to complete a Student Information Form found here. For further information on Dynamo Fencing Academy, please go to www.dynamofencing.com
Fees: Full time fees are $5250 per year divided into 10 equal payments ($525 per month x 10 months)
Part time fees are $3000 per year divided into 10 equal payments ($300 per month x 10 months)
Requirements & Registration
If registered full time at Ecole Sentinel, Rockridge or West Vancouver Secondary, students are eligible to apply online.
- Open to all students, Grades 8-12
- Students are expected, minimally, to meet expectations in their academic courses
- Good to excellent work habits are recommended
- Good to excellent work is also expected in the area of social responsibility
Students interested in the Premier Fencing Academy must complete an online student information form.