About the Program
The West Vancouver Schools’ Honour Choir courses offer an opportunity to challenge and extend the learning of West Vancouver Schools’ finest young singers in Grades 8-12. The course will be offered in 2 sections for the 2023/2024 school year depending on age and voice type/vocal range. Students, upon successful audition, will be placed by the program director into either Treble Honour Choir (treble voices in grades 8-12) or Mixed Honour Choir (either changed/changing voices or treble voices in grades 8-12).
Both courses are held on Tuesday evenings at West Vancouver Secondary School (South Campus Cafeteria Building, Room 64). The Treble Honour Choir will meet from 3:40-5:10pm and the Mixed Honour Choir will meet from 7:10-8:40pm.
Successful applicants to the District Honour Choir Program must meet the prerequisites for the course before applying. Prerequisites are as follows:
- experience singing in a choir or equivalent vocal training (either school or community)
- knowledge of basic music theory (e.g., note names, basic note values, basic dynamics, and articulation markings)
- availability for concerts and extra rehearsals outside of regular class time (schedule provided at the start of each term)
- enrolment in their school choir for the year in which they are registered for the Honour Choir Program.
In addition to meeting the prerequisites for the course, all students will be required to audition in the spring. Auditions will be Wednesday April 19 from 5-9pm. Auditions will be held at WVSS, in room 64 South Campus Cafeteria Building.
The auditions will cover a variety of vocal exercises to assess concepts such as vocal range, pitch accuracy, and tone quality. Examples of the exercises to be performed can be found on this site under “Audition Information”.
Students should apply at the link provided on the District website and they will be notified by email of the student’s specific live audition time at WVSS.
* Course Fee
There is an annual fee of $200 for this course to cover:
- Transportation (bus) to concerts and workshops in the community
- Music festival entry fees (e.g., Kiwanis Festival)
- Guest clinicians invited to provide a workshop for the choir
- Rental fee for the formal uniform items & also for casual uniform items
- Official Honour Choir choral folder
- Social team building activities throughout the year
Fees are collected via the school cash online.
Th group will travel each year (either locally or abroad) to attend festivals, workshops and performances. The cost for our annual trip (can be approximately $250-$7000, depending on the destination) which is in addition to the $200 course fee.
Contact WVS Program Director/Teacher Mrs. Suzanne Fulton, for more information at email@example.com.
Music Unites Us
This project was created with District Honour Choir families in support of Canada’s Music Monday on May 4, 2020.
The Sing Project
Choir teacher Suzanne Fulton coordinated The Sing Project, involving more than 550 choir students from across the district. School choir teachers were also involved, preparing each school’s choir for the big event.
The students performed the song ‘Sing’ by vocal group Pentatonix. Grade 12 videographer Owen Shields produced this video of the event, recorded in November, 2016.