The primary goal of this program is to provide a formal tennis training program within the academic setting, to allow for achievement and excellence in sport and education.
West Vancouver Schools Premier Tennis Academy is a sports program within the public school system that offers young tennis players the opportunity not only to participate in a unique training schedule, but also to complete their academic course requirements.
This program is strictly supplementary to the existing programs run by various tennis clubs.
- Students must be registered full time at Rockridge, Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary Schools
- Male or Female
- Grades 8-12
- A minimum of C+ average is expected academically
- Good to excellent work habits are expected in each subject area
- Good to excellence is expected in the area of social responsibility
Tuition is $5250 per year. This fee is divided into 10 equal payments @ $525 per month x 10 months (September to June).
Tennis Program Components
Week One: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 7:00 – 8:15 a.m. Hollyburn Country Club; For each on-court session, students are to arrive at the HBCC Tennis Centre on time, dressed and ready to participate.
Week Two: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 7:00 – 8:15 a.m. Hollyburn Country Club; Friday is a Fitness, Pilates or Yoga session 7:00 – 8:15 a.m. at the Hollyburn Country Club.
Students participating in the Tennis Program get course credits for Physical Education (Grades 8-12)
Planning 10 Mandatory
Students at the Grade 10 level must complete the mandatory Planning 10 course requirement. This course may form part of students’ overall timetable of course selections in the morning, or students have the option of completing the course on-line via correspondence or at summer school. School counsellors review each student’s timetable and recommend accordingly.
West Vancouver Schools’ Premier Tennis Academy provides the following:
- Premier places for learning. Students may attend Rockridge, Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary Schools
- Premier Facilities: Hollyburn Country Club (1 block from Sentinel Secondary)
- Year Long Program: Academy runs September – June
- P.E. Credits: Students receive P.E. credit for participation in the Tennis Academy. This also allows students to participate in the school’s Tennis team and ultimately being eligible for Provincials if students progress to that level
- Excellent, qualified & competent instructional staff
- Exposure to tennis-specific training
- Parent/Instructor/Teacher interviews
Assessment & Evaluation
Skills & Fitness Assessment
Students’ skill and fitness levels are continually monitored. Formal assessment is conducted in September and late February. Students participate in a series of on-court with results documented in formal reports to students and parents.
We emphasize to our students the importance of forming good habits for success, not only in tennis, but also in school and in their relationships with others. Students are encouraged to be consistent in areas such as: goal setting, focus, work ethic, attitude and effort during both on-court and alternate activity/fitness-specific training sessions.
PLEASE DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:Diane Nelson
Director of Instruction
West Vancouver Schools Premier Academy
Office Direct Line: 604-981-1150
If parents are interested in this program for students, please complete and submit an online registration form.