To attend the Evening Information Session, please complete the Student Information Form.
Evening Information Session
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
7:00 – 8:30 pm
General Academy & Academic Overview 7:00-7:30 pm | Library
Fencing Academy Information 7:30-8:30 pm | Room 306
The Premier Fencing Academy in the West Vancouver School District is the only one of its kind in British Columbia. Launched in 2014 and coached by Canada’s National Fencing Team Champion, Igor Gantsevich, the program is open to students registered in Grades 8-12 at any one of the three public secondary schools: Rockridge, Ecole Sentinel, or West Vancouver Secondary School.
High level athletics
The primary goal of the Fencing Academy is to provide a formal fencing training program within the academic setting to allow for achievement and excellence in sport and education.
The Premier Fencing Academy is a sports program in the public school system that offers students the opportunity to complete their academic requirements in the morning and then the ability to participate in competitive fencing skill development training during the afternoon, during school hours.
Planning 10 Mandatory
Students at the Grade 10 level must complete the mandatory Planning 10 course requirement. This course may form part of the student’s overall timetable of course selections in the mornings, or a student may complete the course online via correspondence or at summer school. Counsellors review each student’s course selections, follow up and provide recommendations if required.
Academic Credits for Students
All students in the Premier Fencing Academy receive credits similar to all the students in the regular program at any one of the three high schools.Through participation in the year-long Fencing Academy, students, Grades 8 & 9, registered in the Fencing Academy receive Physical Education 8 or 9, as well as completion of the mandatory Grades 8 or 9 Health & Career Education courses.Students in Grades 10-12 not only receive Physical Education (10, 11 or 12), they also receive credits each year for our locally developed Board Authority Authorized (BAA) courses: Theory & Principles of Competitive Fencing 10, 11 & 12.
Assessment & Evaluation
Students’ skill levels and fitness levels are continually monitored by the coaching staff. The coaches set the goals and objectives with the students based on observations and results within the training sessions. This program helps students form good habits for success not only in the area of fencing, but also within their school coursework and in their relationships with others. Students are encouraged to be consistent in areas such as focus, work ethic and attitude during the training sessions.
The Premier Academy provides the following:
- Full support by the Board of Education as well as the District Office level, both playing an integral and important role in the sustainability of the program.
- Director of Instruction overseeing the program; experienced & knowledgeable, having developed this program and other academy programs within the district for many years.
- Outstanding, qualified and experienced fencing instructors/coaches.
- Full year program which includes fencing skill development, physical fitness, as well on-going information related to competitions and future opportunities within the sport.
- Students closely supervised and progress monitored both within the academy as well as within the academic setting.
- Students registered at any one of our school district’s secondary schools is eligible to participate.
- Outstanding facility: Eagle Harbour Montessori gymnasium.
- Bus transportation provided from each of the secondary schools to the training facility.
- Program proven to increase students’ self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Students receive course credits for participating in the yearlong program.
Registration for the Fencing Academy program is separate from the individual school registration (e.g., WVSS, Rockridge, Sentinel). In other words, parents whose students are not in-catchment or parents whose students are not attending one of the school’s feeder elementary schools, must ALSO register online to the secondary school the student chooses to attend.
In-catchment families can register online to the school any time. Out-of-catchment families may register to the school of choice as soon as this is available (mid-January). Parents are encouraged to check with the school regarding the date that registrations are being accepted. Once the school registration has been received and students have been accepted into the Fencing Program, parents will be asked to bring into the school, all the necessary paperwork or documentation to the school’s main office.
The West Vancouver School District’s Premier Academy is a wonderful program for the student who wants to develop his/her potential as a high performance athlete or simply wants to enjoy developing and learning in the sport of fencing. All students enrolled full time at WVSS, Rockridge or Ecole Sentinel Secondary School have the opportunity to pursue the passion of participating in the sport of fencing, while continuing to receive an excellent education. The school district is excited to be able to offer this very unique program for students.
Tuition is $5250 per year. The fees are divided into 10 equal payments @ $525 per month x 10 months (September – June).
Requirements & Registration
- Students must be registered full time at one of our three secondary schools: West Vancouver Secondary, Rockridge Secondary or Ecole Sentinel Secondary
- Male or Female; Grades 8-12
- Academically, a minimum of a C+ average is expected
- Good to excellent work habits are expected in each subject area
- Good to excellence is expected in the area of social responsibility
PLEASE DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:Diane Nelson
Director of Instruction
West Vancouver Schools Premier Academy Programs
Office Direct Line: 604-981-1150
Students interested in the Premier Fencing Academy must complete an online student information form.