If you are interested in this program, please complete the Student Information Form. We will contact you to complete the registration process.
Wednesday, February 5, 2020 | 6:45-7:5 PM
West Vancouver Secondary School – Room C301
The Premier Engineering program is another example of the West Vancouver Schools’ commitment to facilitating increased student opportunities in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) education in a creative, exciting and competitive environment.
- To provide students with an opportunity to work in an environment that will enable them to have a ‘jump start’ on a number of skill sets that will prepare them to pursue further studies in a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) program with an emphasis on Engineering.
- To provide students with an opportunity to work in an environment that provides them with the skills and abilities relevant and conducive to pursuing future studies in other technical or STEM-based programs.
- To provide students with a very relevant education that involves the knowledge, skills, abilities, and ways of thinking that will be critical to on-going learning in this rapidly-changing world.
- To provide students with a long-term competitive advantage so that they are better prepared for success in tomorrow’s marketplace, and committed to making the world a better place.
Examples of Key Objectives
- Ensure all students are able to work at their own levels by providing low-floor high-ceiling assignments
- Provide open-ended problems: no one right answer to encourage students to be creative in their solutions
- Create an environment so that students work cooperatively and collaboratively in teams to solve problems
- Provide opportunities for students to hone their oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ensure students are provided with appropriate sources and supplies
- Assign hands-on practical projects (relevant to the 21st century) that align closely with SMARTS (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timely, and supported by relevant Sources and/or Supplies
The Program Concept
The structure of the program would be that students would attend their regular courses in their schools (Sentinel, Rockridge or WVSS) in the mornings. Then each afternoon students would complete their courses for the Engineering Program at West Vancouver Secondary School. One afternoon (e.g., Day 1:4) students would receive the theory component of engineering. The other afternoon (e.g., Day 2:4) students would receive the practical component of engineering.
The two courses that students would receive are as follows:
Grade 11 students:
Grade 12 students:
- The program would be located at West Vancouver Secondary School.
- Designed for boys and girls, Grades 11 & 12, who are registered as full time students at one of the three secondary schools (West Vancouver Secondary, Ecole Sentinel, or Rockridge Secondary)
- The program would include a class of Grade 11 students as well as a class of Grade 12 students.
- Students attend regular classes in the morning at their home school and then West Vancouver Secondary in the afternoons for blocks 1-4 and 2-4.
Tuition $3250 per or $325 per month (September – June).
Requirements & Registration
A student selected to participate in the Premier Engineering Program must provide a copy of their most recent report card, indicating good progress in academic subject areas, as well as evidence of socially responsible behaviour, an excellent work ethic, and an overall positive attitude. Final selection will involve an interview process with a panel of educators & engineers.
Students interested in the Premier Engineering Program must submit the Student Information Form.