Ready for an adventure?
Open the door to enriched learning with Late French Immersion
What is French Immersion?
French Immersion is an inclusive program designed for students wishing to acquire French as an additional language. Learners are immersed in the French language in a diverse and engaging school environment.
French is acquired as a means of communication. At both École Cedardale and École Pauline Johnson French is the primary language of instruction. The French language is developed over time as learners move through their elementary and secondary school experience.
French Immersion learners share a sense of joy and connection, locally and globally, through unique cultural experiences. As French speakers, learners develop a deeper understanding of and pride in our Canadian identity.
Why French Immersion?
Research shows that learning additional languages improves students’ cognitive abilities. Through the French Immersion experience, learners will:
- develop French language skills;
- work with staff from diverse backgrounds;
- gain insight and understanding into French culture;
- acquire skills that could lead to increased opportunities using French (one of Canada’s two official languages) in the workplace;
- develop international mindedness;
- develop a strong sense of identity and connection to a tightly knit community.