District Honour Choir is a choir course with two sections, a treble choir and a mixed choir, offered to students in Grades 7-12 that offers an opportunity to challenge and extend the learning of West Vancouver Schools’ finest young singers in Grades 7-12. The course provides the potential for up to 6 years of credited music elective towards graduation.
The course is held on Tuesday evenings at West Vancouver Secondary School. The treble choir meets between 5:00pm and 6:30 pm. The mixed choir meets from 7:00-8:30 pm. The first Tuesday of every month there will be a mandatory musicianship session (theory and ear training) for 20 minutes prior to the start of the class.
Successful applicants to the District Honour Choir must meet the pre-requisites for the course before applying. Pre-requisites are as follows:
- Experience singing in a choir (either school or community)
- Knowledge of basic music theory (e.g. note names and basic note values)
- Must be enrolled in their school choir for the year in which they are registered for the District Honour Choir
- Concerts and extra rehearsals outside of regular class time
In addition to meeting the pre-requisites for the course, all students will be required to audition in the Spring. Students do not need to prepare a song for the auditions. They will be taken through a variety of vocal exercises to assess concepts such as vocal range, pitch accuracy, and tone quality. Additionally, students will be required to pass a basic music theory test (naming notes in the treble clef, naming the basic rhythmic values of notes, and knowing basic dynamic/articulation marks).
2018 auditions will be held on the following dates:
Wednesday, May 2 from 3:00-8:00pm
Thursday, May 3 from 3:00-8:00pm
Friday, May 4 from 3:00-5:30pm
If needed, additional times will be added the following week.
* Course Fee: There is a $200 fee for this course, to cover items such as the following:
- Bussing to concerts and workshops in the community
- Music festival entry fees (e.g. Kiwanis Festival)
- Guest clinicians invited to workshop the choir
- Casual uniform items and rental fee for formal uniform items
- Official Honour Choir choral folder
This group will travel each year (either locally or abroad) to attend festivals, workshops and performances. The cost for our annual trip (anywhere from $250-$5000, depending on our destination) is in addition to the $200 course fee.
Contact program director, Mrs. Suzanne Fulton, for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sing Project
Choir teacher Suzanne Fulton coordinated the Sing Project, involving more than 550 choir students from across the district. School choir teachers were also involved, preparing each school’s choir for the big event.
The students performed the song ‘Sing’ by vocal group Pentatonix. Grade 12 videographer Owen Shields produced this video of the event, recorded in November, 2016.