About the Program
The West Vancouver Schools Premier District Honour Choir offers an opportunity to challenge and extend the learning of our finest young singers, Grades 8-12. Through participation in the program, students receive courses/credits towards graduation. Based on age/grade level & voice type/vocal range, these courses are offered in 2 sections for the 2022-2023 school year.
Students participate in an in-person audition. Upon successful audition, Program Director, Mrs. Suzanne Fulton places students into either Treble Honour Choir (Treble voices, Grades 8-12) OR Mixed Honour Choir (either changed/changing voices or treble voices, Grades 8-12).
The Treble Honour Choir & the Mixed Honour Choir are held on Tuesday evenings at West Vancouver Secondary School (South Campus Cafeteria Building, Room 64).
The Treble Honour Choir will meet Tuesdays from 3:40-5:10 pm
The Mixed Honour Choir will meet Tuesdays from 7:10-8:40 pm
Students interested in registering for the District Honour Choir Program must meet the following prerequisites before applying:
- Experience singing in a choir or equivalent vocal training (either school or community)
- Knowledge of basic music theory (e.g., note names, basic note values, basic dynamics, and articulation markings)
- Be available for concerts and extra rehearsals outside of regular class time (schedule provided at the start of each term)
- Participation in the student’s school choir for the school year in which they are registered for this District Honour Choir program
In addition to meeting the prerequisites, students will be required to participate in an in-person audition. The auditions will cover a variety of vocal exercises to assess concepts such as vocal range, pitch accuracy, and tone quality. For more information, please see our Audition Requirements link.
Once students register, parents/students will be notified via email of the student’s specific in-person audition time at WVSS. Parents will receive communication (e.g., an email) before Spring Break.
Tentative audition dates are Monday, April 4 from 3-9 pm and Wednesday, April 6 from 3-9 pm. Auditions will be held at West Vancouver Secondary School (WVSS).
*Please note that auditions are required every year in the spring for all singers (both current & returning AND those potentially new to the program.
Student Most Recent Report Card
The final part of the completion of the application form is to upload the student’s most recent report card via our Student Information Form.
The fee for the program is $200 per year and covers such items as:
- Transportation to concerts and workshops in the community
- Music festival entry fees (e.g., Kiwanis Festival)
- Guest clinicians
- Rental fees for various uniforms required throughout the year
- Choral folders
- Team building activities throughout the year
- Accompaniment from accomplished pianist, Mrs. Hey Jung Choi
- Informal choir uniform (t-shirt or hoodie)
- Access to high quality choral repertoire
Fee payments are collected using the district’s School Cash Online system. More information will be provided to parents when students are accepted into the program.
The goal each year is to have the students travel either locally or abroad to attend festivals, workshops, and performances. The cost for our annual trip (with the range from $250-$5000, depending on the destination). The cost of any trip is in addition to the $200 program fee.
*While travel has been currently suspended due to the pandemic, we will return to our goal as soon as it is safe and there is permission to travel.
Music Unites Us
This project was created with District Honour Choir families in support of Canada’s Music Monday on May 4, 2020.
The Sing Project
Choir teacher Suzanne Fulton coordinated The Sing Project, involving more than 550 choir students from across the district. School choir teachers were also involved, preparing each school’s choir for the big event.
The students performed the song ‘Sing’ by vocal group Pentatonix. Grade 12 videographer Owen Shields produced this video of the event, recorded in November, 2016.