Rentals FAQ

  1. What school facilities are available for rent?
    A. All West Vancouver Schools will be available for rental starting Oct. 4, 2021, based on availability. Please note that school activities have priority when using the facilities. The Licensee must comply with all applicable health and safety laws, regulations, orders, directives, guidelines, and recommendations of the federal, provincial, municipal, regulatory   and courts having jurisdiction relating to the global Covid-19 pandemic. Please read – Important information regarding Fall 2021 Facility Rentals.
  2. What times can I request?
    A. School facility availability varies and rental use must not impact the delivery of the West Vancouver School District’s educational programs. School and other District programs have first priority of the facilities. Rentals are not allowed on Halloween, Professional development days (Pro-D days), Holidays, Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break. School facilities are available on weekends and after 5:00 p.m. throughout the week. An additional fee is charged on weekends for custodial services.
  3. Do all school facilities cost the same rate?
    A. The fees vary depending on the venue, group classification, and custodial time, if required. Secondary school facilities cost more than elementary school facilities, and private and commercial groups may be charged a graduated fee. Youth and adult not-for-profit groups are charged a lower rate. Activities that increase wear and tear and generally result in higher maintenance costs are recovered through rental fees.An additional fee for custodial services is charged on weekends and at the discretion of the rentals office. This fee is to ensure that there is a school district representative on site to provide opening and closing services and cleaning as required. Please see our posted rental rates for current fees.
  4. Can we film on school property?
    A. We do our best to accommodate filming requests. Filming will be considered separately from regular community rentals. Please refer to the Filming section from the Quick Links above.
  5. Can we use school equipment?
    A. Equipment is not included in the rentals. Only chairs & tables are available for rental. Please see our posted rental rates for current fees.
  6. Can we rent school fields?
    A. Field rental and use is coordinated through Fields | District of West Vancouver.
  7. If I have a question about my Rentals Application or Agreement, what should I do?
    A.  Please direct all rentals related inquiries to
  8. How long will it take before my request is approved?
    A. The Rental Office makes an effort to review rental requests within seven days.
  9. Why do you need to know how many participants?
    A. Our on-site staff must know how many people will be entering the building.  This information is also required for reports to the Ministry of Education.
  10. Do I need general liability insurance and how much does it cost?
    A. Renters must arrange their own general liability insurance coverage.  Please contact your local insurance company to inquire about rates and to arrange coverage.
  11. What are the requirements and responsibilities of renters?
    A. Adequate supervision is essential and all persons renting schools are required to give this careful attention.  Renters must carry appropriate insurance coverage and be prepared to pay for any loss and/or damage caused by individuals who attend or gain access through the rental.  Please see  Facility Rental Terms and Conditions. All persons renting school facilities are required to agree to hold the Board of Education harmless from all and any liability resulting from bodily injury and damage to property. Renters must obey all reasonable direction of the School Board employee in charge of the school building at that time.
  12. Can we advertise through the school or attach posters outside the school building?
    A. No advertising may be done through the school nor can advertising be attached to the outside of the school building.
  13. Can we smoke in the rented space?
    A. All schools in British Columbia are tobacco-free. The ban applies to school property at all times, regardless of whether or not school is in session.  For more information about the BC Tobacco Control Act, please see the Ministry of Health’s website, Tobacco-Free Schools, and Policy 804: Smoking on Board Premises.  The BC Tobacco and Vapour Products Control Act comes into force on September 1, 2016.
  14. Can we drink alcohol in the rented space?
    A.  Alcoholic beverages are not permitted without the written approval of the Secretary Treasurer and on the advice of the principal or manager in charge of the building. The groups submitting requests in writing must comply with B.C. laws and obtain the appropriate liquor licence.
  15. Can we sell food in the rented space?
    A. A food permit is required to sell food in school spaces.  Please see the Vancouver Coastal Health website for more information about regulatory requirements to offer food services.
  16. Can we leave items at the school facility and arrange for next-day pickup?
    A. The Board will not be responsible for any property left on the school premises.
  17. Who do we contact on weekends if we have an urgent matter relating to our facility rental in the West Vancouver School District?
    A. Please contact Chris Agpes, Custodial Services Supervisor, 778-874-6235.
Translate »
Admissions for the 24/25 school year are openClick here for eligibility and timelines