If you are interested in this program, please complete the Student Information Form. The Academy Office will contact you to complete the registration process.
The Mechatronics Robotics Academy is currently full for the 2021-2022 school year. However, we are now taking registrations for the 2022-2023 school year.
The Premier Mechatronics Robotics Academy is an example of West Vancouver Schools’ commitment to facilitating increased student opportunities in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) education in a creative, exciting and competitive environment.
It is not out of the question that we will be working and living side-by-side with robots in the near future. Learning new skills in this niche area of engineering promises to engage students in STEM learning and open the doors to opportunity.
- To provide students with an opportunity to increase their knowledge, skills and abilities in the areas of design, programming, and building in an engineering or technical environment
- To expose students to outstanding educators, coaches, and mentors
- To work with local and international groups to provide young student engineers the best possible competitive experience
- To provide outstanding facilities and equipment for students
- To provide students with real world experiences that develop the ability to be a positive and constructive player on an engineering team.
- To emphasize the importance of sportsmanship and fair play
- To encourage students to direct their own path to solutions
- To help students gain self-confidence and strengthen their ability to become innovative thinkers. We want to inspire students!
- To help students increase creativity & problem-solving skills to tackle challenges
- To provide students opportunities to learn by making mistakes – as failure is a path to tremendous success
- To provide students awareness and knowledge of a pathway in engineering and technical careers that includes Canadian, American and International universities and colleges
The Program Concept
The Premier Mechatronics Robotics Academy is a choice program offered to students who are registered full-time at Rockridge, École Sentinel, or West Vancouver Secondary.
This program offers students the opportunity to explore their potential in Competitive Robotics utilizing STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) skills in a practical and hands-on environment.
Students work in a variety of roles to research, design, build, program and test robots, ultimately competing in robotics competitions, locally, provincially, and internationally.
This program is:
- Designed for all students, Grades 9-12 registered full time at Rockridge, Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary.
- This competitive Robotics program is under the category of Sports Academies because students enter & compete in robotics competitions locally throughout the months of October to April. Local competitions are held all on Saturdays.
- There are generally 5 tournaments locally. If a team qualifies, there is a provincial championship.
- Teams that do well provincially, have the opportunity to qualify for the world championships. Strong teams may also be invited to compete internationally.
Students receive the following courses depending on the student grade level:
Grade 9: ADST Electronics & Robotics 9
Grade 10: ADST Electronics & Robotics 10
Grade 11: Robotics 11
Grade 12: Robotics 12
Tuition $2750 per year. The fee is divided into 10 equal payments @ $275 per month x 10 months (September – June).
*Tuition does not include entrance fees for competitions.
Requirements & Registration
The Premier Mechatronics Academy is inclusive and all about working and learning together.
This Academy is for students who want to develop their potential in this area in a unique setting that is practical, theoretical, and competitive.
This Academy is for responsible and focused students who have the desire and willingness to learn innovative skills such as critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity as they participate in meaningful & fun projects. This program involves students using mechanical & robotic equipment to design and build in a team environment.
Students interested in the Premier Mechatronics Robotics Academy must submit the Student Information Form.