If you are interested in this program, please complete the Student Information Form. The Academy Office will contact you to complete the registration process.
Virtual Open House
February 1-5, 2021
Link for information coming!
The Premier Field Hockey Academy is another example of West Vancouver Schools’ commitment to facilitating increased access to athlete development through pathways in education. Sport is a viable pathway to meet numerous educational, societal, and personal objectives.
Field hockey is the second largest team sport in the world, played in 100 countries and it offers a lifetime of sporting and social opportunities for students. BC is the most active field hockey province in Canada. Both the men’s and women’s National teams are based in BC.
Varied Skill Levels Accepted
Through a partnership with the West Vancouver Field Hockey Club (WVFHC), student-athletes now have the opportunity to experience the challenges and rewards of the exciting sport of Field Hockey. The program is open to student-athletes of all skill levels with the intention of providing the best possible field hockey experience. All development training sessions take place during the school day.
- To develop the knowledge, skills and abilities of the sport of Field Hockey
- To give each student-athlete the opportunity to reach full potential as both a player and a student.
- To work in partnership with the West Vancouver Field Hockey Club (WVFHC) to provide athletes with field hockey development training in outstanding facilities and with access to excellent instruction, coaching and training
- To use the Field Hockey Long-Term Athlete Development curriculum that facilitates the development of Field Hockey players at all levels of participation and to ensure that the experience of training is always appropriate for the developmental stage of the student-athlete
- To promote a philosophy of long-term participation, performance and enjoyment of the sport of Field Hockey
- To emphasize the importance of sportsmanship, fair play, and respect for fellow players, coaches and officials
- To provide opportunities for increased self-esteem and self-confidence
- To encourage students to have lifelong involvement in Field Hockey, whether as a player, coach or official
- To provide awareness of a pathway for higher education opportunities
The Program Concept
This program offers young Field Hockey players the opportunity to complete their academic requirements in the mornings and participate in Field Hockey development training on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, from 1:00 – 2:20 p.m.
The Premier Field Hockey Academy is a choice program offered to students who are registered full time at any one of our three secondary schools: Rockridge, École Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary.
- Is designed for boys and girls and others in Grades 8-12, registered as full time students at Rockridge, École Sentinel, or West Vancouver Secondary Schools
- Is conducive to scheduling students’ full academic requirements in the morning to allow students the ability to participate in Field Hockey development training in the afternoon
- Provides course credits in Physical & Health Education (Grades 8-10); and Fitness & Conditioning (Grades 11 & 12)
- Focuses on academic achievement, individual skill improvement and overall character development
- Takes a holistic approach to athlete development
- Is working in partnership with the West Vancouver Field Hockey Club (WVFHC)
- Plans for student-athletes using the Field Hockey Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) curriculum
- Provides an integrated framework to facilitate the development of Field Hockey players at all skill levels and experiences
- Is lots of fun for students as they experience a variety of ‘game type’ opportunities
- Is designed to include sessions (tactical, technical & overall fitness) at both outdoor and indoor training facilities
- Provides student-athletes the opportunity to participate in the Regional High Performance Tournament
- Provides eligible students the Coach Education course and certification opportunity such as the NCCP Coaching Certification
- Provides students the Officials Education course and certification opportunity such as Level 1 Umpire Certification
- Ensures student-athletes learn and understand the pathway that is available to them by participating in the sport of Field Hockey
Tuition: $348 per month x 10 months (in partnership with WVFHC)
Requirements & Registration
Students selected to participate in the West Vancouver School’s Premier Field Hockey Academy must provide a copy of their most recent report card that indicates very good progress in academic subject areas, as well as evidence of socially responsible behaviour, an excellent work ethic, and an overall positive attitude.
Students interested in the Premier Field Hockey Academy must submit the Student Information Form.