If you are interested in this program, please complete the Student Information Form. The Academy Office will contact you to complete the registration process.
The Premier Field Hockey Academy is another example of West Vancouver Schools’ commitment to facilitating increased access to athlete development through pathways in education. Sport is a viable pathway to meet numerous educational, societal, and personal objectives.
Field hockey is the second largest team sport in the world, played in 100 countries and it offers a lifetime of sporting and social opportunities for students. BC is the most active field hockey province in Canada. Both the men’s and women’s National teams are based in BC.
Varied Skill Levels Accepted
Through a partnership with the West Vancouver Field Hockey Club (WVFHC), student-athletes now have the opportunity to experience the challenges and rewards of the exciting sport of Field Hockey. The program is open to student-athletes of all skill levels with the intention of providing the best possible field hockey experience. All development training sessions take place during the school day.
- To develop the knowledge, skills and abilities of the sport of Field Hockey
- To give each student-athlete the opportunity to reach full potential as both a player and a student.
- To work in partnership with the West Vancouver Field Hockey Club (WVFHC) to provide athletes with field hockey development training in outstanding facilities and with access to excellent instruction, coaching and training
- To use the Field Hockey Long-Term Athlete Development curriculum that facilitates the development of Field Hockey players at all levels of participation and to ensure that the experience of training is always appropriate for the developmental stage of the student-athlete
- To promote a philosophy of long-term participation, performance and enjoyment of the sport of Field Hockey
- To emphasize the importance of sportsmanship, fair play, and respect for fellow players, coaches and officials
- To provide opportunities for increased self-esteem and self-confidence
- To encourage students to have a lifelong involvement in Field Hockey, whether as a player, coach or official
- To provide awareness of a pathway for higher education opportunities
The Program Concept
This program offers students the opportunity to complete all the academic requirements for graduation and participate in this field hockey skill development opportunity.
The Field Hockey Academy is open to all students, Grades 8-12 who are registered full time at one of West Vancouver Schools secondary sites: Rockridge, Sentinel Secondary or West Vancouver Secondary School. The program takes place at Rutledge Field, West Vancouver on Tuesday and Thursday linearly (all year long) from 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Courses Through Participation
Students receive Ministry courses for participation in the Field Hockey Academy, applicable to their specific grade levels:
Physical & Health Education 8
Physical & Health Education 9
Physical & Health Education 10
Fitness & Conditioning 11
Fitness & Conditioning 12
Tuition: $348 per month x 10 months (in partnership with WVFHC)
The Premier Field Hockey Academy strives to be inclusive. We encourage all students to consider registering as this program as the goal is to accommodate a variety of skill levels, from high performance athletes to those who simply want to learn and enjoy the game.
In addition, we strategically work to create a very positive training environment where everyone is welcomed, accepted, and respected. Do not miss out on this great opportunity for students to be active and engaged all year long.
Students interested in the Premier Field Hockey Academy must submit the Student Information Form.