If you are interested in this program, please complete the Student Information Form. The Academy Office will contact you to complete the registration process.
Virtual Open House
February 1-5, 2021
Link for information coming!
The Premier Fencing Academy in the West Vancouver School District is the only one of its kind in British Columbia. Launched in 2014 and coached by Canada’s National Fencing Team Champion, Igor Gantsevich, the program is open to students registered in Grades 8-12 at any one of the three public secondary schools: Rockridge, Ecole Sentinel, or West Vancouver Secondary School.
High level athletics
The primary goal of the Fencing Academy is to provide a formal fencing training program within the academic setting to allow for achievement and excellence in sport and education.
The Premier Fencing Academy is a sports program in the public school system that offers students the opportunity to complete their academic requirements in the morning and then the ability to participate in competitive fencing skill development training in the afternoon.
“Besides very good training at the Academy, the thing that had the biggest impact on me was the passion and dedication that Coach Igor has for the sport of fencing and it definitely rubbed off. “ – former Fencing Academy student
Read the full quote here
Academic Credits for Students
Students in the year-long Premier Fencing Academy will receive the following course credits:
- Physical & Health Education 8, 9,10
- Fitness & Conditioning 11 & 12
- Career Education 8 & 9
- Theory and Principles of Competitive Fencing 10
- Active Living 11 & 12
Assessment & Evaluation
Students’ skill levels and fitness levels are continually monitored by the coaching staff. The coaches set goals and objectives with each student based on observations and progress within the training sessions. This program helps students form successful habits not only in the area of fencing, but also within their academics and relationships with others. Students are encouraged to be consistent in areas such as focus, work ethic and attitude during the training sessions.
The Premier Academy provides the following:
- Full support by the Board of Education and District Office, as they both play an integral role in the sustainability of the program
- Outstanding instruction provided by qualified and experienced fencing instructors/coaches
- Full year program which includes fencing skill development, physical fitness, as well on-going information related to competitions and future opportunities within the sport
- Students closely supervised and progress monitored within the academy as well as within the academic setting
- Students registered at one of our school district’s secondary schools is eligible to participate
- State of the art training at Dynamo Fencing Club in North Vancouver on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 to 3:40 p.m.
- Bus transportation provided from each of the secondary schools to the training facility.
- Program proven to increase students’ self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Students receive course credits for participating in the yearlong program
- Previous students have been awarded scholarships to post secondary institutions in Canada and the US
The West Vancouver School District’s Premier Fencing Academy is a wonderful program for the student who wants to develop his/her potential as a high performance athlete or simply wants to enjoy developing in the sport of fencing. All students enrolled full time at Rockridge, Ecole Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary School have the opportunity to pursue the passion of participating in the sport of fencing, while continuing to receive an excellent education. The school district is excited to be able to offer this very unique program for students.
Registration for the Fencing Academy program is separate from the individual school registration. The first step in the Fencing Academy registration is to complete a Student Information Form found here.
Tuition is $5250 per year. The fees are divided into 10 equal payments @ $525 per month x 10 months (September – June).
Requirements & Registration
- Students must be registered full time at one of our three secondary schools: Rockridge, Ecole Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary.
- Male or Female or Other; Grades 8-12
- Academically, a minimum of a C+ average is expected
- Good to excellent work habits are expected in each subject area
- Good to excellence is expected in the area of social responsibility
Students interested in the Premier Fencing Academy must complete an online student information form.