To attend the Evening Information Session, please complete the Student Information Form. This program is for grade 11 & 12 students only.
Evening Information Session
Wednesday, February 6, 2019
7:00 – 8:30 pm
General Academy & Academic Overview 7:00-7:30 pm | Library
Engineering Academy Information 7:30-8:30 pm | Library
Click here to view schedule of all Academy Information Sessions
The Premier Engineering Academy is another example of the West Vancouver Schools’ commitment to facilitating increased student opportunities in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) education in a creative, exciting and competitive environment.
- To provide students with an opportunity to work in an environment that will enable them to have a ‘jump start’ on a number of skill sets that will prepare them to pursue further studies in a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) program with an emphasis on Engineering.
- To provide students with an opportunity to work in an environment that provides them with the skills and abilities relevant and conducive to pursuing future studies in other technical or STEM-based programs.
- To provide students with a very relevant education that involves the knowledge, skills, abilities, and ways of thinking that will be critical to on-going learning in this rapidly-changing world.
- To provide students with a long-term competitive advantage so that they are better prepared for success in tomorrow’s marketplace, and committed to making the world a better place.
Examples of Key Objectives
- Ensure all students are able to work at their own levels by providing low-floor high-ceiling assignments
- Provide open-ended problems: no one right answer to encourage students to be creative in their solutions
- Create an environment so that students work cooperatively and collaboratively in teams to solve problems
- Provide opportunities for students to hone their oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ensure students are provided with appropriate sources and supplies
- Assign hands-on practical projects (relevant to the 21st century) that align closely with SMARTS (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timely, and supported by relevant Sources and/or Supplies
The Program Concept
The structure of the program would be such that students would attend classes on one full day at West Vancouver Secondary School (WVSS). Then the second day, the students would attend classes at the school they are registered (WVSS, Sentinel, or Rockridge).
The courses on the Engineering Academy day would include:
- Pre-calculus 11 or Pre-calculus 12 (PREC 11 or PREC 12)
- Physics 11 or Physics 12 (PH 11 or PH 12)
- Robotics 11 or Robotics 12 (ADST: Robotics 11 or ADST: Robotics 12)
- Engineering 11 or Engineering 12 (ADST: Engineering 11 or ADST: Engineering 12)
- The academy would be located at West Vancouver Secondary School.
- Designed for boys and girls, Grades 11 & 12, who are registered as full time students at one of the three secondary schools (West Vancouver Secondary, Ecole Sentinel, or Rockridge Secondary)
- The program would include a class of Grade 11 students as well as a class of Grade 12 students.
- Students attend one full day of classes at West Vancouver Secondary; and the alternate day at the school where they are registered (e.g., West Vancouver Secondary, Rockridge, Sentinel)
- The selection process for this academy will include a review of students’ report cards and an interview by a panel of educators & engineers.
Tuition $3250 per or $325 per month (September – June).
Requirements & Registration
A student selected to participate in the Premier Engineering Academy Program must provide a copy of their most recent report card, indicating good progress in academic subject areas, as well as evidence of socially responsible behaviour, an excellent work ethic, and an overall positive attitude. Final selection will involve an interview process with a panel of educators & engineers.
PLEASE DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:Diane Nelson
Director of Instruction
West Vancouver Schools Premier Academy
Office Direct Line: 604-981-1150
Students interested in the Premier Engineering Academy must submit the Student Information Form.