District Honour Choir is a mixed and women’s only choir course that offers an opportunity to challenge and extend the learning of West Vancouver Schools’ finest young singers in Grades 7-12. Students entering the choir for the first time begin in District Honour Choir 10, regardless of their grade in school, and may continue the program in subsequent years (District Honour Choir 11, 12, IDS).
The course is held on Tuesday evenings at West Vancouver Secondary School. The women’s choir (separated into a junior and senior choir for part of their rehearsal) meets between 4:30pm and 6:30 pm. The mixed choir meets from 7- 8:30 pm.
Successful applicants to the District Honour Choir must meet the pre-requisites for the course before applying. Pre-requisites are as follows:
- Experience singing in a choir (either school or community)
- Knowledge of basic music theory (e.g. note names and basic note values)
- Must be enrolled in their school choir for the year in which they are registered for the District Honour Choir
- An understanding that honour choir students will be required to attend mandatory concerts and extra rehearsals outside of regular class time
2017 auditions will be held on the following dates:
Friday, May 5 from 3:30 – 9 pm
Saturday, May 6 | 10 – 6 pm
Sundays, May 7 | 10 – 6 pm
Additional auditions will also be held the following weekend if needed.
* Course Fee: There is a $200 fee for this course, to cover items such as the following:
- Busing to concerts and workshops in the community
- Music festival entry fees (e.g. Kiwanis Festival)
- Guest clinicians invited to workshop the choir
- Casual uniform items and rental fee for formal uniform items
- Official Honour Choir choral folder
Students in this group will travel each year (either locally or abroad) to attend festivals, workshops and performances. The cost for our annual trip (anywhere from $350-$5000, depending on destination) is in addition to the course fee.
Contact program director, Mrs. Suzanne Fulton, for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sing Project
Choir teacher Suzanne Fulton coordinated the Sing Project, involving more than 550 choir students from across the district. School choir teachers were also involved, preparing each school’s choir for the big event.
The students performed the song ‘Sing’ by vocal group Pentatonix. Grade 12 videographer Owen Shields produced this video of the event, recorded in November, 2016.