Grade 9 Premier Sports Academy Students go to “Work”
Take Our Kids to Work™ is The Learning Partnership’s signature program, now in its 20th year, and provides Grade 9 students with the opportunity to experience and learn about the world of work as they begin to explore possible career paths. The Learning Partnership began running this program in 1994 in Ontario and it has since grown into a national program that reaches students in all provinces and territories across the country.
Once again, this year, The Learning Partnership’s annual Take Our Kids to Work day was a very successful, exciting event for more than 250,000 Grade 9 students across the country. We would like to send out our thanks to the 75,000 employers across the country who hosted students for the day. A special thanks to all those in our local community for the commitment to our youth which has given the students, including our Premier Sports Academy athletes, unique learning experiences and valuable knowledge that will help them make informed decisions as they plan their futures.
Research suggests that today’s students will have multiple careers over the span of their working years. They will need to master both new technologies and complex social and organizational systems. They will also need to be prepared with the educational tools and experiences that will be necessary to succeed in tomorrow’s workplace.
For students, it’s an opportunity to:
- Understand the importance of staying in school by learning first-hand what skills are required in today’s workplace.
- Start exploring career options in a practical way and gain a better understanding of just how many career choices are open to them.
- Develop an appreciation for their parents’ careers and roles in supporting their families.
For parents, it’s an opportunity to:
- Prepare their adolescent for the future.
- Participate in a shared experience with their adolescents.
- Begin a career dialogue based on actual experiences.
- Enrich their adolescent’s experience with discussions before, during and after the workplace visit.