Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 4 pm
About the MP Award for Writing
The sixth annual Member of Parliament Award for Writing contest is part of West Vancouver’s annual BOOKtopia Children’s Literature Festival taking place this year from May 5 – 9, 2015.
The MP Award for Writing is a joint initiative by West Vancouver Schools, West Vancouver Memorial Library, BOOKtopia Festival, and the Office of John Weston.
This year’s topic
The right to vote is a fundamental democratic right that is protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It is the cornerstone of democracy. When we vote, we choose the representatives who will make the laws and policies that govern how we live together. As you are not 18 years old, you are not yet allowed to vote. Do you think you should be allowed to vote, and why, OR, do you think you should not be allowed to vote and why?
The contest is open to all Grades 6 and 7 students in the West Vancouver Schools regional area.
Certificate; a special prize courtesy of Kidsbooks; publication on the Member of Parliament website www.johnweston.ca . The entire classroom of the first place contestant will also receive a free pizza lunch!
Certificate and book prize courtesy of Kidsbooks in the Village.
Certificate, book prize courtesy of Kidsbooks in the Village.
Entries must be received no later than March 31, 2015 at 4 p.m.
Entries must be delivered in person to one of the following locations:
Member of Parliament John Weston’s Office
Suite 21, #285-17th Street, West Vancouver
West Vancouver Memorial Library
1950 Marine Drive, West Vancouver
- A completed, signed entry form must be attached to each entry.
- Entry forms are available here.
- Entry must be typed, using one side of the page only.
- Entry must not exceed 400 words in length.
- Entry may be submitted in English or French.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of originality of thought, expression, presentation, grammar, spelling and Canadian content. Originality of thought and Canadian content are the main criteria.
- Entry must be the original work of the contestant.
- Each contestant may submit one entry only.
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org