Flexible Instructional Time
Beginning in the 2019-2020 school year, all West Vancouver secondary schools will adopt an altered schedule that provides students with a 32 minute block of flexible instructional time (FIT) per day. FIT is currently on hold for the 2020-21 school year as we have moved to the Quarter model. The purpose of the FIT block is to provide students with: time and flexibility to address the new Career Education competencies and content; time to meet with teachers for support, guidance or inspiration regarding specific curriculum, or other passions and interests; the opportunity to collaborate with other students, teachers, or community members; and time to explore, work on, or complete assignments and projects.
Benefits and Purposes of FIT
- Provide students with choice, voice and flexibility with their learning in order to independently complete assignments, study, collaborate or engage in a personal area of interest.
- Provides the opportunity for students to receive support and guidance from teachers.
- Provides time for Grade 11/12 students to complete the new Career Life Connections curriculum.
- Supports student time management and organization by providing an opportunity for guided practice.
- Provides flexible learning environments for all, acknowledging that learning can take place in a variety of places and ways.
- Promotes well-being for the entire school population.
FIT in Action
- Guided by expectations, students will plan in advance how they will use their FIT block.
- During FIT, students will use the instructional minutes to connect with teachers, other students or work independently to engage in a learning task.
- Teachers will be available to mentor, facilitate, and guide student learning.
- Teachers will communicate their FIT schedule to students.
- Students in Grades 11/12 will be required to complete their Career Life Connections (CLC). Students will be scheduled to connect with their CLC teachers approximately one a week for check-ins, lessons and mentorship.
- teachers can require students to attend a specific FIT block to make up missed work, assessments, complete assignments and receive extra help.
- At times, FIT will be used by teachers to provide lessons to students with respect to FIT and school expectations and personal skill building.
Student Expectations for FIT
- Be focused on learning
- Be in a learning space
- Grade 8-11 students must be in a learning space
- Grade 12 students can be in shared learning spaces
- Have a plan for the time
- Have all the materials required
- Remain in the learning space required