At Sentinel Secondary School, we have high standards for personal conduct as it involves other people, our environment, and our work. Moreover, we view the pursuit of appropriate conduct as a shared responsibility among students, parents and staff members. Our Code of Conduct is based on respect and responsibility. These expectations apply to behaviour at school, at school-organized or sponsored events, and at other times where inappropriate behaviour (including on-line behaviour) may negatively impact the school environment and/or student learning. Please note that special considerations may apply to specific students if they are unable to comply with a Code of Conduct expectation due to having an identified disability of an intellectual, physical, sensory, emotional or behavioural nature.
Sentinel Secondary School’s Code of Conduct is intended to establish and maintain a safe, caring and orderly environment for purposeful learning, and to establish and maintain appropriate balances among individual and collective rights, freedoms and responsibilities. Sentinel promotes the values expressed in the BC Human Rights Code respecting the rights of all individuals in accordance with the law – prohibiting discrimination based on race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and age – in respect of discriminatory publication and discrimination in accommodation, service and facility in the school environment. The code of conduct also outlines expectations for student behaviour.
Our expectation is that everyone will adhere to Sentinel’s Code of Conduct and core values:
- We recognize that the pursuit of mastery requires independence, perseverance, and a growth mindset
- We celebrate diversity and attend to others with empathy and open mindedness
- We pursue personal and academic excellence with purpose, honesty, curiosity, and integrity
- We respect ourselves, others, and our learning environment while showing gratitude towards our community
- We consider the implications of our choices and take responsibility for our actions
- We engage in a fun, safe, inclusive, and dynamic school community!