Active Living and Sports at Ecole Pauline Johnson
Participating in Active Living and Sports in school is a great experience.
- You develop new skills
- You have fun
- It makes you feel good
- You get to try new sports
- You get to be part of a school team
- It is an important part of leading an active and healthy lifestyle
- You make new friends and meet new people
- You get to represent PJ at district events
- You could raise money for a good cause (ie: Terry Fox Run)
We encourage every student to be involved in the school’s active living and sports program.
What sports can I play at Elementary School
Sports in elementary school are inclusive – this means that if you show up for a team, you can play. Different sports are played at different times of the year and are available to different grades. Both cross country and track are available to a wider age group while basketball, volleyball and Ultimate Frisbee are for Grade 7 Students. Occasionally, Grade 6 students may be invited to play on a grade 7 team. These invitations will be dependent on different factors such as the number of available Grade 7 students.
|September and October||Cross Country||3 - 7|
|October - December||Basketball||7|
|January and February||Volleyball||7|
|April and May||Ultimate Frisbee||7|
|May and June||Track and Field||4 -7|
If you want to be more competitive in your sports and to prepare for more competitive secondary school teams, we recommend that you play your sport outside of school – you can do this through club play or camps in the summer, winter or spring breaks. The North Shore community offers many opportunities.
Who are the coaches for our sports?
All coaches in public school, both elementary and secondary, are volunteers – this includes your teachers, parents or other community volunteers. A lot of time is committed to our sports teams including coordination of games, uniforms, transportation, practice times, game times, and tournaments which can take place on weekend. Our sport teams run on volunteer power and we are very fortunate to have such dedicated people who gladly give of their time. Always remember to thank your coaches.
The goal of all our coaches is to foster a lifelong enjoyment of sport by providing all interested students an opportunity to develop skills, fair play, and leadership in a cooperative and supportive environment.
How do I sign up?
In Elementary School, sports are non-competitive for the most part. If you want to play, you can come out to the practices and games or tournaments. There is no fee for participating. Watch for the notices of when the next sport or event is starting.
What is the role of the athlete?
All students are encouraged to participate in school sports. As an athlete it is important to be prepared and be personally accountable for your actions. Athletes should:
- Be prepared (uniform, proper attire, water bottle, nutritious breakfast lunch etc.)
- Attend all practices and games
- Be on time to practices and games (arriving and leaving)
- Know that it is a privilege to be on a sports team and that you are representing yourself, school and district
- Ensure behaviour and work habits in school come first and may impact involvement on a sports team
- Ensure respectful or appropriate behaviour during practices, games and transport.
What is the role of parents in elementary school sports?
PJ parents are very welcome to help out with school sports. There are many ways to do this depending on the sport and the coach’s needs, including:
- Volunteering to coach or assistant coach a team
- Ensuring your athlete is on time for practices, games and tournaments
- Driving the team to games
- Managing uniforms
- Organizing thank you’s for coaches
- Modelling appropriate behaviour and support for the coach
- Respecting all players and all coaches
- And always as a spectator.