What are Career Programs?
These programs provide students with opportunities to enhance their understanding of various career options. Students will:
- Build closer associations with working adults who are willing to share their knowledge and expertise;
- Develop job skills and gain important practical experience;
- Explore a variety of potential career options by assessing their abilities and interests in a specific field;
- Acquire confidence and self-reliance in preparation for further education or future employment;
- Enhance in-school curriculum by relating the classroom instruction to the relevant work environments.
How can students participate?
The level of involvement is up to you!
Preparation and Selection:
Students should contact their home school Career Programs office to schedule an appointment with a Career Program Advisor.
Rockridge Secondary School: 604.981.1300
Sentinel Secondary School: 604.981.1130
West Vancouver Secondary School: 604.981.1100
Students will meet with an Advisor to determine which of the many types of programs and work experience options might be a good fit for their interests and post-secondary plans.
The Career Program Advisor will then work with the student to determine the best fit between the school and our various community employer partners.
Supervision of Work:
- Students are supervised by an employer or employee who is responsible for their on-the-job training
- The type of work the students do is determined by the employer/supervisor, the teacher and the student’s initiative
- Student progress is monitored by Career Program Advisor through contact with the supervisor at the placement site
How are the students prepared for placement?
- Students are interviewed by school staff to assess their interests/aptitudes
- Students complete pre-employment orientation consisting of interview skills, resume writing, site-safety awareness, various employment skill requirements, appropriate dress, etc.
- Students may be required to attend an interview with the employer prior to placement