For Males entering Grades 5 or 6
The Big Bad Bot Builders program provides students with the opportunity to explore various elements of mechatronics & robotics. Students will not only participate in a variety of challenges, but they will also have the option of participating in local tournaments throughout the school year.
As well, there will also be several Robotics tournaments held in the Greater Vancouver area whereby the students in this program will have the opportunity to observe robots in action, built by our older students at the secondary school level.
Those in the BBBB program will also have the opportunity to volunteer at these tournaments as “field setters” which would involve resetting the field elements between robotics matches. Students would not only get front row seats to watch the action, but they would also have lunch provided.
The goal for the students in the BBBB program is to build robots using the VEX IQ system, working individually or in small teams to design, build and test various robots. These hands-on experiences require a willingness of students to take risks, not worry about making mistakes, and to persevere.
Students participating in the BBBB program for males joining for the first time will receive the VEX IQ Super Kit.
The Ignite Your Passion program runs one day per week throughout the school year.
Time: Day and time to be confirmed upon registration
Location: West Vancouver Secondary School
Start Date: Monday, September 12, 2022
End Date: Monday, June 19, 2023
Students interested in this program, complete & submit the Student Information Form. Once the teacher reviews the application form & confirms student acceptance into the program, Assistant, Tara Ledingham will follow up with the applicable paperwork.
Refund Policy: If a student withdraws, a fee total of $520 must be provided in order to cover the cost of the VEX IQ Robotics Kit.
Registration & Process for Selection
Registration is open.
Complete & submit the online Student Information Form
Immediately following the online submission of the Student Information Form, submit the student’s most recent report card.
If the report card is not yet available, please communicate this to Assistant, Tara Ledingham (email@example.com) and then follow up with this current report card submission when available. Students will not be confirmed without the Academy Office receiving a copy of the recent report card.
This program is for those students who display the ability to listen, follow instructions, complete assigned tasks, and work well with others. As well, we work to create and sustain a positive, nurturing work environment for all students. We expect students to be responsible and respectful to their peers and their teachers.
*While this program includes students at two grade levels, this is a one-year program. If First Year students are eligible (e.g., grade level) and request to return to the program for a second year, the student must receive approval by the teacher to return. Confirmation will be communicated to parents by the Academy Office.
2015 – Teacher at West Vancouver Secondary School
2000 – 2015 – Began teaching basic robotics in his classroom
Realized that competitive robotics engaged students who were considering career paths that required a strong background in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math)
Provided education, instruction & coaching to over 70 students per year
Coached up to 20 competitive robot teams each year
Qualified and attended the VEX Robotics World Championships since 2007
2012 – Won the VEX Robotics World Championship title winning over teams from countries that included United States, Australia, Singapore, China and the United Kingdom
Dr. Mahesh Chugani
Dr. Mahesh Chugani is an Electronics Engineer
- Worked as a Software Engineer at National Instruments (Austin, Texas)
- Worked as Director of Support & Training at Momentum Data Systems (Huntington Beach, California)
Dr. Chugani is not only a West Vancouver Schools teacher, but also holds the following credentials:
- Diploma, Electronic & Radio Engineering, Cusrow Wadia Institute of Technology, Pune, India
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics & Telecommunications, College of Engineering, Pune Inda
- Master’s degree, Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York
- Authored many technical publications, along with two books
- On the Educational Advisory Committee, Canada’s ICTC (Information & Communications Technology Council)
WVS Premier Robotics Academy Teacher
- University of British Columbia — Bachelor of Education 2021
- University of British Columbia — Bachelor of Science 2018
- Specializing in a triple-major of chemistry, mathematics, and physics, my undergraduate work focused on communication of scientific concepts and applications in atmospheric science. This well-rounded understanding of different scientific fields has given me a diverse set of teachable subjects and an ability to connect material between classes, including applications using coding and scientific analysis of problems.
Daedalos Academy — Senior Coach / STEM Instructor (Sept 2016 – Present)
Responsibilities & Role Included:
- Creating programs using LEGO and VEX robotics for summer camps, after-school camps, and in-school programs that focus on engineering, design, and coding principles in the ADST curriculum
- Working with diverse age groups during the camps
- Ensuring the quality of individual learning experiences
- Working with teams on projects from creating the programs to implementing them with a team of coaches
- Using problem-solving skills for classroom management, technology, and instruction
- Coming up with solutions to problems or challenges
University Hill School — STEM Instructor (January 2017-March 2020)
Responsibilities & Role Included:
- Developing a program using LEGO Education products in conjunction with the BC curriculum for Grades 2-3 and 4-5 STEM classes, with an emphasis on engineering and technology applications
- Creating fun and engaging classroom experiences for the classes by using multimedia and experimentation in lessons
- Coordinating & collaborating with teachers and school administrators to distribute information to parents
Sealy Tutoring — Senior Tutor & Centre Manager (May, 2017 – Present)
Responsibilities & Role Included:
- Tutoring secondary students in mathematics, chemistry, physics, and biology, both individually and in group settings
- Communicating with students and parents both learning materials and expectations
- Maintaining and managing the drop-in center, including managing tutors and developing an enjoyable learning environment
Science World — STEM Communicator
Gearing Up! — Senior Coding Club Instructor
Mr. Jeff Huang currently teaches at Ecole Sentinel Secondary in the areas of Math & Science. He is also part of the school district’s Digital Innovation Team, and one of the teachers for WVS Premier Environmental Science Program.
- 2006 – 2011 B.Sc – Chemistry (UBC)
- 2011 – 2012 B.Ed – Secondary (UBC)
- 2012 – 2014: Mapleleaf Canadian International School (China)
- 2016 – present: Science and Math teacher at Sentinel Secondary
Mr. Huang has an excellent understanding of programming and understands how to work with students of all grade levels within specialized programs. Mr. Huang has the strong ability to engage positively with students, motivating them to work hard.
Mr. Huang is a passionate educator who strives to teach young students, not only the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the discipline of focus, but he also incorporates the teaching of valuable skills coveted in local industries today.