If you are interested in this program, please complete the Student Information Form. The Academy Office will contact you to complete the registration process.
Wednesday, February 5, 2020 | 6:00-6:30 PM
West Vancouver Secondary School – Room C203
The Premier Kickboxing Academy is another example of the West Vancouver Schools’ commitment to facilitating increased access to athlete development through pathways in education. Sport is a viable pathway to reach numerous educational, societal and personal goals.
Overview of Program: Variety and Opportunity
This academy is designed to provide a consistent training program for students, boys & girls, Grades 8-12 to experience and develop self-discipline, improve focus, self-confidence and self-respect while getting a full body workout. The idea is to provide students with a progressive range of skill development through quality lessons and activities.
The goals of the Kickboxing Academy are:
- To develop students’ knowledge, skills and abilities in the sport of kickboxing and provide each student the opportunity to reach their full potential in the sport
- To work in partnership with KB-ONE to provide students with kickboxing skill development training under the Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) program
- To train in outstanding facilities (KB-ONE) located at #194 Pemberton Avenue, North Vancouver
- To have access to excellent instruction, coaching and training in collaboration with Mehdi Pouroskoui, a longtime teacher of martial arts in North Vancouver and considered a master of kickboxing
- To provide students with the opportunity to receive Physical and Health Education 8-10 or Fitness and Conditioning 11-12 course credits for participation in the academy program
- To promote a philosophy of regular practice and long-term participation, performance and enjoyment of the sport of kickboxing
- To emphasize the importance of sportsmanship, to focus on both individual and group training and to display a respect for peers, instructors, coaches and teachers
- To provide students with the opportunity for increased self-esteem and self-confidence through participation in the sport
- To encourage students to be motivated to participate in the sport of kickboxing for life, as a player, referee, future instructor, coach or kickboxing enthusiast
- To provide awareness of the many opportunities in the sport of kickboxing around the world
The Program Concept
Physical & Health Education Canada defines physical literacy as individuals who are physically literate and able to move with competence in a wide variety of physical activities that benefit the development of the whole person.
The program is based on the principles set out in the Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) Program (www.canadiansportforlife.ca)
The LTAD Program has become a standard for all sport-governing bodies in Canada in defining the fundamental principles behind long-term athlete development, and is a requirement for funding of elite development programs in Canada.
Through participation in the Kickboxing Academy, students will be able to:
- Improve overall physical literacy, with additional benefits for the mind, body and soul
- Improve mental alertness and focus
- Improve flexibility, strength and agility
- Improve overall physical fitness, as kickboxing is both anaerobic and aerobic and is an active sport that burns calories. The sport is a fun and easy way for students to improve cardiovascular fitness and continue to stay active.
- Improve balance
The vision of this academy is to provide students with the opportunity to learn and enjoy the sport of kickboxing with the goal of participating in this activity and other activities for life.
- Open to boys & girls, Grades 8 – 12
- Students must be registered full time at any one of WVS three secondary schools: Rockridge, École Sentinel or West Vancouver Secondary
- All skill levels reviewed for acceptance into the program
- Program offered in partnership with KB-One training at 109 Bowser Avenue in North Vancouver
- Program will be offered in the afternoons (1:45 – 3:00) ‘every other day’
- Due to the intensity of the training, students are required to come with a demonstrated passion to learn and to grow as young athletes
- A student selected to participate in the Premier Kickboxing Academy Program must provide a copy of their most recent report card, indicating good progress in academic subject areas, as well as evidence of socially responsible behaviour, an excellent work ethic, and an overall positive attitude
$2700 per year: $275 per month x 10 months (September – June)
Requirements & Registration
A student selected to participate in the Premier Kickboxing Academy Program must provide a copy of their most recent report card, indicating good progress in academic subject areas, as well as evidence of socially responsible behaviour, an excellent work ethic, and an overall positive attitude.
PLEASE DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:Diane Nelson
Director of Instruction
West Vancouver Schools Premier Academy
Office Direct Line: 604-981-1150
Students interested in the Premier Kickboxing Academy must submit the Student Information Form.