To attend the Evening Information Session, please complete the Student Information Form. This program is for grade 11 & 12 students only.
Evening Information Session
Tuesday, February 5, 2019
5:30 – 7:00 pm
General Academy & Academic Overview 5:30-6:00 pm | Library
Environmental Science Academy Information 6:00-7:00 pm | Room 323
Click here to view schedule of all Academy Information Sessions
The Premier Environmental Science Academy is another example of the West Vancouver Schools’ commitment to facilitating increased student opportunities continuing to include academic areas of focus.
Overview of Program: Variety and Opportunity
West Vancouver Schools Premier Environmental Science Academy provides students with opportunities to perform experiments and field research under the tutelage of a qualified science teacher and the guidance of scientists who are experts in their own fields of research. In addition, the course blends in-class theory with on-site practice through collaboration with field experts who have the requisite resources and laboratory space. Outdoor design experiments can also take place at this site, as environmental systems are explored.
- Access to PSEC and Oceanwise scientists who are experts in their field
- Guided Experiments familiarize students with the research process
- Active collaboration in students’ own experimental design projects in shoreline habitat, terrestrial ecology, fish genetics, fish nutrition, and plastic pollution
- Concrete academic writing research, reading & writing skills to optimize success in undergraduate and graduate studies
- Exposure to diverse prospective and careers, giving students insight to shape their own professional future
- Field experiences take place at the stream, forest, flats, beach and ocean, offering meaningful connections with coursework
- Motivated learners deeply committed to personal growth see themselves as empowered agents of change
- Experimental design and data analysis
- Collaboration on multiple levels
- Effective reading and note-taking strategies
- Dynamic presentation styles
- Seminar-based discussions for high-level learning
The Pacific Science Enterprise Centre:
- A world-class institute actively advancing scientific knowledge, the Pacific Science Enterprise Centre (PSEC) is a hub of innovation and collaboration with multiple community partners
- Learning with the Environmental Science Academy happens at PSEC on the stunning West Vancouver waterfront
- Bus transportation is provided from Rockridge, Ecole Sentinel and West Vancouver Secondary Schools. Parents are responsible for pick-up at 3:00pm from PSEC facility:
4160 Marine Drive, West Vancouver
The Program Concept
This Environmental Science Academy is the only one of its kind in Canada. Students who seize this opportunity will elevate their science skills and academic expertise to a post-secondary level, and connect with their learning through hands-on experiments, lively discussion of course materials, and guidance from visiting and on-site experts.
Research skills are developed with mentoring scientists from Fisheries and Oceans Canada, as well as Ocean Wise (Vancouver Aquarium). Experiential learning takes place with numerous community partners, whereas important scientific literacy skills are regularly practiced as the curriculum is explored in the classroom.
Participating students are registered at any of the district’s three secondary schools and are transported by bus to the waterfront research facility (Pacific Science Enterprise Centre) every other afternoon. Students are responsible for their own transport from the site following the learning sessions, which usually end at 3 pm.
Sample Learning Experiences
- Skills-based lessons targeting reading & note-taking strategies, dynamic presentations, effective web-based research, and writing for publication
- Introduction to research methodology in guided lab experiments and fieldwork led by seasoned researchers
- Experimental design project with formal mentorship guidance in research areas of shoreline habitat, fish genetics, terrestrial ecology, fish nutrition, and plastic pollution
- Data analysis workshops, including computer modeling with specialists from UBC’s Dept. of Earth, Ocean & Atmospheric Sciences, as well as Bird Studies Canada
- Guest presenters from numerous community partners add professional insight to topics such as invasive species, artificial reefs, and endangered species
- Collaborative presentations based on student’s individual reading of a non-fiction book relating to ecology, conservation and environmental issues
- Multiple peer review sessions on writing tasks, note-taking quality, and presentation skills
- Case-studies approach to current environmental issues, including aquaculture and pipelines
- Community-based volunteer opportunities with West Vancouver Streamkeepers’ Society, Lighthouse Park Ecology Society, and Wild Research BC
Tuition $3250 per year or $325 per month (September – June)
Requirements & Registration
A student applying to participate in the Premiere Environmental Science Academy Program must provide:
- A copy of your most recent report card
- The Name of a teacher you have spoken to who will support your application
- The student information form, which includes a short set of written questions
*Students must have completed Science 10. In addition, exposure to laboratory science (life science and physical science) is recommended. Due to the quantitative analysis required in the course, students should be familiar with algebra. Also, desirable (but not necessary) is a familiarity of Earth Science.
PLEASE DIRECT INQUIRIES TO:Diane Nelson
Director of Instruction
West Vancouver Schools Premier Academy
Office Direct Line: 604-981-1150
Students interested in the Premier Environmental Science Academy must submit the Student Information Form.